On the Menu provides the latest news from the Charleston area’s culinary community, including new restaurants, new menu items and upcoming events, as well as details about local chefs. ATTENTION: Submissions should now be made using our online form.
The Johns Island Farmers Market is set to host its Holiday Market from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 22 on the campus of Charleston Collegiate School, with gifts and food available for purchase. There will be fire pits, holiday-themed entertainment, giant inflatable human hamster balls, a bounce house, kids’ games and pony rides.
The farmers market will hold regular weekly markets from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. each Saturday leading up to the Holiday Market.
The award-winning shrimp and grits dish that Ms. Rose’s Fine Food & Cocktails executive chef Matt Paul entered in the second annual Shrimp & Grits Festival on Nov. 11 is currently included on Ms. Rose’s lunch, dinner and brunch menus.
The dish, which took home the $500 grand prize in the festival, includes domestic shrimp, andouille sausage, Parmesan cheese and green onion grits, with grilled cornbread served under a confit tomato and Tasso ham gravy.
Edmund’s Oast Exchange is hosting several events in December:
- Sunday, 2-4 p.m.: Free tasting of wines from the Jura region. The tasting will include a full lineup of wines, and local photographer Arielle Simmons will be the guest speaker. The shop will offer 10% off all the wines throughout the day.
- Dec. 9, 2-4 p.m.: Free tasting with Bittermilk bar mixers. The tasting will include a lineup of locally made products. The shop will offer 10% off all Bittermilk mixers throughout the day.
- Dec. 15: Annual holiday tasting event and all-day sale. There will be beer and wine tastings from noon to 4 p.m., kicking off with Champagne at noon. The shop will offer 10% off all purchases throughout the day.
- Dec. 23, 2-3 p.m.: Free tasting of holiday inspired wines.
- Dec. 30, 2-3 p.m.: Free tasting of grower Champagne.