Helping Out highlights some of the many charitable events and activities going on in the Charleston area. ATTENTION: Submissions should now be made using our online form.
Palmetto Goodwill hosted its Shining Star Awards Banquet on Thursday at The College Center at Trident Technical College. The event is organized by Palmetto Goodwill to honor program participants who have overcome barriers to employment and to recognize businesses and individuals who have played a positive role in the growth of Goodwill’s mission.
This year’s award winners include:
• Office of Gov. Henry McMaster for Partnerships for People Award – South Region
• Horry-Georgetown Technical College for Partnerships for People Award – North Region
• Southeastern Paper Group for Business Partner of the Year
• Charleston Radio Group for Corporate Partner of the Year
• Georgetta Rutledge for Volunteer of the Year
• Moneak Martin for Barbara Banks Customer Service Award
• Wayne Merritt for Employee of the Year
• Evelyn Hinman for Achiever of the Year
• Ivan D’Arrigo for Graduate of the Year
• Maurice McKoy for the Goodwill Works Award
The ARK, Alzheimer’s Family Support Services has created a new class, “The Navigation Club,” designed to support brain health through engaging members in five content areas: socialization, mental agility, physical activity, spirituality and nutrition. The classes will be facilitated by a coordinator who is knowledge about memory loss and the maintenance of healthy brain function. Each class includes a healthy snack, weekly resources and recommended readings.
The class meets weekly from 8:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Fridays starting May 10 at The Ark House at 502 West 5th North St. in Summerville. Anyone wanting to maintain and improve their memory is encouraged to attend.
The ninth annual Dining Out for Life, an event that aims to raise awareness and funds for the fight against HIV/AIDs in the Lowcountry, began this week. More than a dozen restaurants are donating a percentage of sales to Roper St. Francis Healthcare’s Ryan White Wellness Center. Participating restaurants include Hall’s Chophouse, Taco Boy, Sugar Bakeshop and more.