Updated: Wednesday, 3:52 p.m.: Based on the latest forecast, the S.C. State Ports Authority will resume normal operating hours at all terminals on Thursday, including normal gate hours beginning at 6 a.m. for the Wando Welch and North Charleston terminals. Motor carriers should monitor road conditions and lane reversals, the port said.
Updated: Wednesday, 12:45 p.m.
Charleston International Airport
The Charleston airport is operating normally at this time. The airlines expect to have service Wednesday and Thursday.
“We continue to monitor the storm speed and path,” spokeswoman Charlene Gunnells said in an email. “As long as it is safe to fly, the airlines are flying and the runways remain open, Charleston International Airport will be open.”
Two flights were canceled and two were delayed so far today, according to Flight Aware, although the airport does not know if those were from weather issues.
Passengers scheduled to fly should stay in touch with airlines about delays, cancellations or rebooking flights, if needed.
Boeing South Carolina
Boeing decided Tuesday night to suspend operations as Hurricane Matthew approaches, spokeswoman Elizabeth Merida said in an email.
As of first shift Wednesday morning, the site is closed. Operations will stay suspended until the storm passes.
Finished 787 Dreamliners awaiting customer delivery were either flown to other sites or brought inside the Final Assembly building, rather than sitting exposed on the flight line.
Port of Charleston (updated above)
Wando Welch & North Charleston terminals
- The port will not receive any export refrigerated cargo loads.
- The port will continue to deliver import refrigerated cargo and empty reefers during normal hours.
- After noon, the port will no longer accept or deliver empty containers.
- After noon, the port will no longer accept hazardous cargo.
- The port will continue to process import and export missions until 6 p.m.
Thursday - Saturday:
- Gates will be closed and no containers will be interchanged.
Columbus Street & Union Pier terminals
- Wednesday: Regular schedule.
- Thursday: Close at noon, assuming trucks can get safely to the terminal.
- Friday: Closed.
- Wednesday: Normal hours.
- Thursday: Normal hours.
- Friday: Closed
Inland Port Greer
- Inland Port Greer will remain open for normal operations.
- Empty container operations will continue weather/safety permitting.
- The Norfolk Southern trains to and from Charleston will be running weather permitting.