Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
SC Biz News
Advertisement

Distribution & Logistics

Charleston Harbor deepening project on schedule, fully funded

Distribution & Logistics
Teri Errico Griffis Print Story
  • Share

Three of the project's five dredging contracts have been awarded, and the last two are expected to be awarded by the end of the year. (Photo/Provided)

The Charleston Harbor deepening project is fully funded and on schedule to achieve a depth of 52 feet by mid-2022. Once the project is completed, Charleston Harbor will be the deepest on the East Coast.

The Army Corps of Engineers, Charleston District, S.C. Ports Authority, U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham and Rep. Joe Cunningham joined ports authority CEO Jim Newsome and COO Barbara Melvin last week to give an update on the project.

Previously, the port said the cost would be a little over $509 million. The projection as of now is closer to $558 million, and it has been funded through state and federal dollars.

Sen. Lindsey Graham said the ability to handle post-Panamax ships under any tide would be "a godsend to our state and the port of Charleston." (Photo/Provided)

Of the five dredging construction projects for which contracts will be awarded by the Army Corps, three have been awarded so far. The final two are expected by end of year, according to the SCPA.

“We’re in a good situation as far as realizing that project, and it’s a real success story because we will have done a deep-draft navigation project in slightly over 10 years’ time. That doesn’t sound that fast to most people, but in the navigational deepening business it’s very fast,” Newsome said.

With the harbor deepening, the port will be able to accommodate massive post-Panamax ships — which are already calling on the SCPA — at any time of day, regardless of tidal restrictions.

“In a couple years from now, we’re going to be ready to handle any ship in the ocean, 24/7, and that will be a godsend to our state and the port of Charleston,” Graham said.

Graham was one of the first federal leaders to engage in talks to deepen the port back in 2012. He said at the news conference that the project is transformational for the port and the state, adding that one in every five jobs is connected to S.C. ports.

Rep. Joe Cunningham said he's proud that the deepening was approved and funded by a government that has been divided. (Photo/Provided)Cunningham said the deepening project is something he’s focused on since entering office. While funding the project has been an accomplishment, he considers the bipartisan support for it in such a divided government an even bigger gain.

In addition to the deepening of Charleston Harbor, S.C. Ports has been building the Hugh Leatherman Sr. Terminal as part of its six-year capital improvement plan.

Phase one of the terminal is set to open in March, with two more phases to follow. At full buildout, the terminal will double port capacity. It will be able to handle four ships of 14,000 TEUs — an industry measurement equivalent to a 20-foot container — as well as a 19,000-TEU ship. The Leatherman terminal also will add 700,000 TEUs of additional capacity to the port. It will have a 1,400-foot wharf, 25 hybrid rubber-tired gantry cranes, and five 169-foot-tall ship-to-shore cranes — some of the tallest on the East Coast.

Reach Teri Errico Griffis at 843-849-3144.

  • Share
1 Comment
Write a Comment

August 26, 2020

I recall the State funded a significant part of the keeping project in advance, with State tax dollars. This was to allow the project to proceed without waiting on Federal funds. My recollection is the amount was a couple of hundred million. The public was told the State funds would be reimbursed when the Federal funds became available. With the lower State revenues due to the CV19 recession, I think we need those funds from the Federal government NOW. What is our delegation doing to make this happen?

Subscribe to Our Digital Newsletters